2004-05-08 : Manny Pacquiao 125 lbs drew with Juan Manuel Marquez 125 lbs by SD in round 12 of 12
Location: MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Referee: Joe Cortez
Judge: John Stewart 115-110
Judge: Burt A. Clements 113-113
Judge: Guy Jutras 110-115
Aired On: HBO World Championship Boxing (Main Event)
World Boxing Association Featherweight Title (1st defending of Marquez)
International Boxing Federation Featherweight Title (2nd defending of Marquez)
Marquez down three times in the first round.
Marquez was bleeding heavily from the nose following Round 1.
Pacquiao defended his Ring Magazine featherweight world title.
Judge Guy Jutras scored the fight 115-110 for Marquez, while judge John Stewart scored it 115-110 for Pacquiao.
The third judge, Burt Clements, had a 113-113 tie. His scoring included a 10-7 opening round because, he admitted later, he did not realize he could give a 10-6 round. If Clements had scored the opening round 10-6, as the other two judges had, Pacquiao would have won by 113-112 on Clements’s card and earned a split decision.
“I just screwed up,” Clements said. “I feel badly because I dropped the ball, plainly and simply. You can make a lot of arguments that it was a very close fight, but that’s immaterial. The fact is, I dropped the ball.”
Marc Ratner, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, ruled that Clements’s admission was no grounds for a protest.
- Manny Pacquiao Video: Watch Pac-Man Challenge Floyd Mayweather to Fight (bleacherreport.com)
- Manny Pacquiao: Fighting in China, His Future and Floyd Mayweather (blogs.wsj.com)
- Pacquiao handpicks Rios (sportsnippets.com)
- Floyd Mayweather Must Look Past Manny Pacquiao Challenge to Beat Saul Alvarez (bleacherreport.com)
- Freddie Roach To Floyd Mayweather: Step up and Fight Manny Pacquiao Next (latinospost.com)
- Pacquiao’s career is over, says Mayweather (sports.inquirer.net)
- Mayweather vs. Alvarez could shake up boxing (voxxi.com)
- Manny Pacquiao wants to ‘restore the public’s confidence’ (upi.com)